PR and Social Media Tips for using
Facebook and Twitter – Part 2
Gaining Followers, Friends, & Rules of Engagement
- Updated Stats as of June 2009:
- According to Nielsen, Facebook leads all social networking sites with 87.3 million unique visitors in June 2009
- Quickly growing its video reach from 2.4 million unique viewers in June ’08 to 12 million in June ’09.
How can you start using Facebook? Here’s how:
- Now that you have put together a simple and effective profile page (making sure you are descriptive and clear about you do and what you offer now what?
- After you have joined groups related to your business remember to reach out and connect to your friends and members of the groups
- Send direct customized notes and messages of introduction about your business and see if they would like to set up a phone meeting or a face to face one if they are in your city (Use safety rules by researching the company or individual prior to meeting or just set up a phone meeting first.). This should be the same thing you would be doing if you were following up with your contacts after meeting them at an actual networking function. Well this is Social Networking, and in order to really engage and connect with your Facebook, you have to follow the similar rules.
- Offer discount specials and/or free products or services to your friends on their birthdays by sending them a Happy Birthday note with a link to your website with a special discount or special information. You can also do the same thing seasonally or during special holidays or times of the year.
- Special Tip: Don’t forget to set up your own username on Facebook. It’s FREE and allows you to own part of Facebook’s digital real estate. Just go to http://www.facebook.com/username. You will be asked to login to Facebook first, you should then be guided through the steps of selecting a username (which should be the same as your current name in Facebook. You can use the url with your new username on your business cards, website, blog, etc.
I already use Twitter, now how can I REALLY maximize it?
- Updated Stats according to Nielsen as of June 2009: Twitter grew a massive 1,928 percent in the US from June ’08 to June ’09 reaching a total of 21 million monthly unique visitors!
- Twitter users spent an average of 31 minutes, 17 seconds on the site in June. You can use the Twitter Tools like TweetDeck and Seesmic Desktop which are more graphical free software interfaces that you can install. They allow you to navigate easier, tweet, direct message, etc.
- A “tweet” is a post in 140 characters or less that can be advice, info about an event, a product or service, etc.
- Tweet interesting stuff, please J (useful and relevant) that would make people want to follow you
- Build your followers base by following people or putting a “Follow Me on Twitter” link in your emails, business cards, website, etc.
- Make sure that you register your Twitter account into special Twitter Sites and Tools like wefollow.com and twellow.com (Twitter Yellow Pages). Using keywords that are relevant to your business, will allow you to be found by people looking to connect to your business.
- Look through your Twitter Followers for individual or businesses that you can connect and do business with. Send them a Direct Message or DM introducing yourself with a link to your website and see if they would like schedule time to chat on the phone or meet in person if they are in your city.
- Safety first, please….Unfortunately not everyone on Social Media Sites are who they say they are so perhaps you should do some research on the company or individual on google first or set up a phone meeting prior to meeting face-to-face.
- Special Twitter Tip: Geofollow.com allows you to connect to your Twitter account, follow people by location and city. Plus you can add and list your own Twitter Account (for FREE!) by the tags that apply to you, your business or profession and search for people that fit the same criteria.
About Light of Gold PR, Marketing, and Consulting LLC:
Light of Gold PR, Marketing, and Consulting LLC (www.lightofgoldpr.com) with offices in New York and Atlanta , specializes in Public Relations, Marketing, Promotions, Media Relations, Branding and Event Planning, Workshops, Webinars, Teleseminars, emphasizing New Media such as Webcasts, Podcasts, Social Media and Online Communities. Light of Gold PR is certified by New York City as a M/WBE, a Minority Woman-Owned Business